Makerere University

From UgandaWiki: The Uganda Online Encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

Established in 1922 as a technical school, Makerere Univesity is the oldest institution of higher education in Uganda. The main campus is situated on Makerere Hill in Kampala.

In January of that year, Uganda Technical College, as it was then known, opened its doors to 14 day students, who studied carpentry, building and mechanics.

Soon, the college was offering more courses, including medical care, agriculture, veterinary sciences and teacher training. By 1935, it had evolved into the Centre for Higher Education in East Africa. In 1949, it became a university college affiliated to the University College of London, before being transformed into the University of East Africa in 1963. It offered courses leading to degrees of the University of London.

On 29 June 1963, the formal relationship with the University of London was severed and degrees of the University of East Africa were introduced. On 1 July 1970, following the collapse of the East African Community, Makerere University, it came to be known, became an independent national university of the Republic of Uganda.

Today Makerere University has twenty-two faculties/institutes/schools offering day, evening and external study programmes. It as about 30,000 undergraduate and 3,000 postgraduate students, with both national and foreign students. Most of the foreign students come from Kenya, Burundi, Rwanda and Tanzania.

[edit] External links

Official website of Makerere University

Personal tools